Worship Music Director
We are Red Deer Lake United Church, a growing, diverse and inclusive Christian community in SW Calgary full of people who are wanting to embrace the faith and spirituality Jesus opens up to us. We participate in what God is doing in our world. Together, through our various programs, outreach and justice initiatives, community groups, events, and worship, we strive to live out and explore our faith and become more and more the kinds of people and community that exist to make a positive difference in the world. We are proud of our rich 100 year heritage and are looking forward to exciting and new things ahead.
Your role would be to work alongside our minister to help craft transformational and meaningful worship, and to, through a variety of musical styles, groups, liturgies, and components which reflect and nourish our community, vision, and theology/spirituality, lead and encourage congregants to meaningfully participate and engage in worship together.
You will be expected to possess musical education and experience, to enable you to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of and respect for the United Church of Canada core values and ethos of justice, inclusiveness, progressive theology and diversity.
- Build rapport and engage with our congregants.
- Provide and promote a range of musical genres including but not limited to Traditional, Modern, Contemporary, Praise, Gospel, etc.
- Create opportunities for all to express their faith through music in a way that engages everyone to participate actively in the worship service.
- Collaborate with both the Minister and Worship Committee in order to integrate worship and music that reflects the rich heritage and future of Red Deer Lake United Church.
- Facilitate spiritual growth and expression and help explore topics and themes.
- Help music teams such as choir, band, song leaders, etc. to do their best to lead the congregation in worship.
- Provide and oversee all music for Worship Services in collaboration and partnership with the Minister regarding: choice of hymns, musical presentations, interludes to complement the Ministers message and facilitate and engage the congregation in the worship experience.
- Lead worship and support any additional musical participants (such as the AV team).
- Assist guest musicians in selection of music and rehearse with them. Choice should include a diverse kind of voice, style and product.
- Lead the hymns by teaching new music and help set the tone so that the congregants participate in worship.
- Provide special music for the more significant occasions and high holidays.
- Purchase and secure all rights to new music and be a steward of those resources and organize volunteers to help with the organization.
- Seek opportunities for Professional Development. Pursue personal growth through courses, classes and seminars approved by the Worship Committee and Ministry & Personnel Committee.
- Maintain productive and amicable relationships as a team player with all staff, performers and the congregation.
- Provide long range planning and vision in conjunction with the Minister, Worship Team, Ministry & Personnel Committee and the Board.
- Set aside time for weekly dialogue and planning with the Minister.
Monthly salary and hours to be negotiated (approximately half-time).
Please forward your resume, cover letter, and references to our office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Preferred candidates will be selected for interviews. This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Thank you for your interest, and we hope to have you joining our team soon!